Objectivity + Excess Return Identifier = Enhanced Opportunity Set
Investment managers are in the business of uncertainty. Uncertainty surrounds the markets and the companies that make up investable universes. Within an uncertain environment, investment managers are responsible for producing an intangible product – a return – for which a multitude of variables and the interpretations thereof can have a direct and meaningful impact on the end product.
At its core, investing is about understanding and interpreting information and subsequently making a decision, an investment, based upon in-depth analysis. While in-depth analysis is an essential component to an investment process, it alone doesn’t minimize the uncertainty of the future nor does it minimize how company information (i.e., level of revenues, operating margins and cash flow) will be evaluated and interpreted by investors. We believe quantitative techniques, combined with rigorous investment analysis can help minimize the impact of uncertainty and provide a runway for impactful investment results.
At Isthmus Partners, our proprietary Excess Return Identifier (ExRI℠) process assists us in identifying what we believe are drivers of future excess return and isolate our analyses on high quality companies that appear underappreciated by investors. It is through our proprietary ExRI℠ process that we find companies that meet our valuation and quality criteria and have predictive attributes that may lead to excess return. Through our proprietary process and thorough analysis, we enhance our clients’ opportunity set for success.
For more information:
One South Pinckney Street
Madison, Wisconsin 53703
At Isthmus Partners, three core principles drive our approach to managing assets:
- Valuation and quality must always factor into an investment manager’s decision making process.
- There is no substitute for independently assessing a company’s valuation and future growth prospects.
- Investment practitioners have a perpetual obligation to evaluate the risks and merits of going against the crowd.
“Our investment process is disciplined, repeatable and transparent.”
With these principles in mind, we evaluate companies similar to that of a business owner by evaluating the cash generating potential of a new asset, which ultimately guides us as to what a company is worth. We believe owning companies that create positive economic value (i.e., Return on Invested Capital > Weighted Average Cost of Capital) is a primary driver in earning excess returns over a market cycle. Through Isthmus Partners’ proprietary Excess Return Identifier process, we (1) focus on companies that have characteristics that may lead to the potential to generate excess return and (2) own companies that sustainably generate economic value whose underlying values are not fully appreciated by the investment community.
Isthmus Partners has three core beliefs that are consistent with our stated investment principles.
- US equity markets are highly, but not perfectly, efficient. We believe inefficient market behavior offers buying and selling opportunities to capture superior investment return. Using quality as a cornerstone, we own companies that trade at a discount to our estimate of intrinsic (underlying) value based upon conservative future growth prospects.
- Controlling risk is vital to producing consistent long-term investment results. We use diversification by sector and security to accomplish this goal.
- A patient and objective discipline supported by these fundamental tenets governs consistent and superior long-term investment performance.
What is Excess Return Identifier? It is the firm’s proprietary process that is designed to generate sector specific quality screens that focus on factors or a combination of factors, which we’ve identified are good identifiers of future excess return. Companies survive and thrive only if they create economic value by generating returns on capital in excess of the costs of capital (i.e., positive spread). For example, one of the many measures we test is the relationship between the four year average (short-term) spread and excess returns to determine if the four year average spread has historically been a good identifier of excess returns. By isolating sector specific variables that have led to excess returns in the past, we are able to probe a quantitatively superior sub-universe that meets our valuation and quality criteria. Our proprietary Excess Return Identifier process is exhaustive and the quality screens are recalibrated at least every two years, with changes made to the screens accordingly.
READ MORE — Quality and valuation
Quality and valuation are inseparable attributes and we utilize our screens to focus on those companies that have either consistently created economic value for shareholders or are showing a trend of improvement in creating economic value. Our quality screens enable us to rank potential securities based upon a company’s short-term and long-term average spread as well as its slope and short slope, which are measures of an improving economic value creation. We then use valuation techniques to further refine the list of potential securities. We primarily use discounted cash flow analysis to give us an initial sense of the enterprise value of a company. Companies with a sufficient discount to our estimate of intrinsic value advance to a fundamental analysis.
READ MORE — fundamental analysis
Once the eligible list of securities has been filtered down to 80 to 100 stocks, we apply fundamental analysis by examining trends in the balance sheet, income and cash flow statements along with other qualitative factors specific to each company. It is at this point in our investment process that we have arrived at a final intrinsic value of the company. Detailed written reports are shared with the investment committee and catalysts that will move a mispriced security towards our estimate of intrinsic value are known and agreed upon by the committee.
Isthmus Partners offers Small Cap Core Equity and Large Cap Core Equity strategies to institutional investors that seek to provide competitive, long-term performance.
Small Cap Core Equity
- Target between 55 to 65 small cap core securities
- Market capitalization is between $100 million and $2 billion (at the time of initial purchase)
- Strong sell discipline
- Benchmark: Russell 2000 Index
Large Cap Core Equity
- Target between 35 to 45 large cap core securities
- Market capitalization is greater than $2 billion (at the time of initial purchase)
- Strong sell discipline
- Benchmark: S&P 500 Index
Why Investors Choose Isthmus
Isthmus Partners is independent and autonomous, which means that we can respond quickly to investment opportunities. We think independently, act collaboratively and take action that at times involves going against the crowd.
- Excess Return Identifier (ExRI℠) – We believe our exhaustive excess return identifier process enables us to identify companies that possess properties that have led to historical excess returns – an additive element to a high quality strategy that you will not find elsewhere.
- Strong entrepreneurial culture.
- Transparent investment process and access to portfolio management team.
The thought of tracking the levels of executive compensation with economic value creation has always intrigued us. Using publicly available data and with the benefit of being able to access standardized disclosures, we formalized our analysis in an attempt to provide a perspective on an alternative way to view executive compensation.
Use of Cash: Dividends and Share Repurchases
With “Use of Cash: Dividend and Share Repurchases,” we examine the magnitude of how dividends and share repurchases have been broken down and have been covered by excess cash flow and how these have trended over time.
The Isthmus Partners institutional team is composed of highly experienced and credentialed professionals.